Into the Streets (ITS)
"We must challenge ourselves to go into the streets, not just for a day, but for a lifetime."
-Into the Streets Challenge Statement, 1992
Into the Streets (ITS) is a service learning program at Penn State that provides students with one-time opportunities to learn about and serve in our local community.
Sponsored by Student Activities, ITS service projects are open to all Penn State students. The projects are organized and led by undergraduate student members of Student Engaging Students (SES).
Into the Streets at Penn State is a part of a national program aimed to engage college students in more thoughtful, meaningful service as active, ongoing contributors to the national service movement.
ITS is designed to:
- Involve students in thoughtful and meaningful service
- Increase student awareness of issues that affect our
- Increase student action to meet community needs
- Introduce Students to ongoing opportunities to serve
As ITS volunteers, students benefit from:
- Pre-Arranged Projects
- Transportation to Sites
- Small Service Teams
- Peer-Led Reflection
- Tracking of Service Hours
- Connection to Future Opportunities