Still pretending it's Spring Break? Here's what you missed!
New Member? Go HERE!!
- Superstitious Wilderness was great, albeit very prickly.
New officer elections will take place during the first week in April. Nomination will be taken from March 15th to March 28th (or possibly at the time of the vote, who knows).
President: Runs meetings; deals with Club Sports (submitting trip requests); is generally awesome. Requirements: must know how to write emails and be familiar with getting maps from Google Maps or another online mapping service. Time: meetings & 5+ hrs
Vice President: In charge of fundraising and volunteer service projects; in charge of membership; assists in dealing with Club Sports. Requirements: should be friendly and know how to write emails. Time: meetings & 1h
Treasurer: Handles the money; in charge of reimbursements/deposits. Requirements: good at basic math (+ - * /) and is organized, should be familiar with some form of spreadsheet application (Google Docs is a plus). Time: meetings & 2 hrs
Secretary: In charge of meeting minutes; meeting reminders; general social activities. Requirements: knows how to write emails (or at least copy and paste from one of the last 6 years worth and fill in the new stuff) Time: meetings & 1.5+ hrs
Historian: Keeps a record of PSOC activities on PSOCTL.blogspot.com. Should be willing to learn how this works.
- The official PSOC cookbooks have arrived! They are jam packed with delectable recipes for on and of the trail. The cost is $5 per book, BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE! For an additional $2.50 per book, Dan T will customize your copy in any way, shape, or form. ALSO, Dan is signing out his cookbook to creatively-inclined members. If you'd like to buy a book or decorate Dan's, contact him at DanTrew@psu.edu for more info.
- Jason was kind enough to donate a bunch of stickers. Find Dan Trew at the next meeting if you'd like some free swag (and thank Jason!!).
- Performance Tees -- They're finally here!!! Performance Tee's will be available for $25 at the March 15th meeting. They're men's and women's specific, and fit like Under Armour or Nike Dri-Fit (read very tightly).
- Black Forest Trail -- April 8-10. FULL. Contact John Groh at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yough Xtreme Adventure Race -- @ Ohiopyle State Park, April 30. FULL. Contact Jason at email@example.com
- Beginner Backpacking Trip -- April 1-2. Interested in learning how to backpack? Darcy is putting together a beginner's backpacking trip. Basic backpacking skills will be taught. Veteran or n00b, email Darcy at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
- Red Moshannon Downriver Race -- 3/26 @ Moshannon Creek in Grassflat, PA. Feelin' some competitive kayaking and canoeing? Find out more about this race here. The water is usually cold, but the delectable spaghetti dinner after wards certainly is not! PSOC typically covers the cost of dinner and some of the registration. Contact
- WILD Weekend -- March 26-27. Are you an outdoor leader? Do you want to become an ORION leader? Just want to brush up on your knot tying skills? Sign up for WILD and enjoy a relaxed weekend of backpacking and outdoor learning. Contact Dan DanTrew@psu.edu for the 411.
- Milton Climbing Gym -- Alie will be leading another trip within the next 2 weeks.
- Governor Stable -- April 9. Difficult climbing, not for beginners. Email Alie email@example.com for details.
- We have been ok'd for OUTDOOR ROCK CLIMBING! Come April 16 or 17, there will be a trial trip to Chickies or Mocanaqua. The cost will be $15, and all gear is included (cannot bring your own, except for shoes), must be a dues-paying member... it would also help if some courageous members applied to become trip leader through Adventure Recreation (http://www.athletics.psu.edu/advrec/resources.html). Ryan Mullins will keep y'all in the loop.
- Starting mid-April and through out the summer, PSOC will be hosting Spring Creek kayaking and canoeing trips. The cost is $5. More infor to come!
- Banff Mountain Film Festival -- April 12-13 @ the State Theater, 7:00pm. Cost: In Advance: 2-day Ticket $24, 1-day Ticket $14
Day of Show: $16, $12 Students (per day). Check out the trailers here!
- Reel Paddling Film Tour -- April 8, part of the Appalachian Outdoors Spring Outdoor Expo. Venue TBD.
- Arboretum Volunteering -- March 19, 9-12pm. It's not easy being green... especially at the Arboretum. Email Ryan Mullins firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in volunteering. Free food, maybe.
- Wilderness First Aid Certification -- @ Georgetown University. Email Ryan Mullins email@example.com if interested.
- Looking for a summer job as a camp counselor? Email Ryan firstname.lastname@example.org!
- First Aid/ CPR/ AED Certification -- $22/ person @ somewhere. Email Ryan email@example.com... inquire within for dates (after Spring Break).
- AccuWeather is looking for 5 volunteers to participate in a focus group study on a backcountry weather application. Email Ryan firstname.lastname@example.org for info.
Don't forget! The Penn State Outing Club meets Tuesdays in 323 HHD East @ 7 PM!