About the Student Organizations Server
The Student Organizations Web Service, previously known as the "Student Activity Server" and as the "Club Server," provides Web space to Penn State Student Organizations.
Student Affairs and ITS have partnered to provide a better
organized, managed and structured way to serve student organizations'
Web space on www.clubs.psu.edu,
and social fraternities and sororities on www.greeks.psu.edu. For
additional, more technical information, please visit
This project is a collaborative effort between the Division of Student Affairs and Information Technology Services (ITS).
ITS provides the technical "back end" support while the Student Activities office of the respective Division of Student Affairs at each Penn State location oversees the management of eligible Penn State student organizations' respective Web space. The information below provides
a breakdown of the responsibilities between each partner.
Division of Student Affairs
- Student Affairs manages Web space accounts for eligible student organizations at Penn State. Specifically, the Student Affairs office at each Penn State location manages Web space accounts for organizations they directly charter.
- Involvement of a specific Penn State location with the service is voluntary by the representing Student Affairs office.
- A representative, appointed by Student Affairs, will manage Web space accounts for social fraternities and sororities on www.greeks.psu.edu, where applicable.
- Student Affairs will provide primary support of student organizations on both account processes and first level technical support, will have an administrative and technical contact listed on their designated organization's server space for each location and will update ITS on contact information changes.
- Each location will be granted access to maintain their Web space on the Student Organzation Server.
- Each Student Affairs office manages the allocation of disk space to organizations and what the size of this allocation is per organization. The default allocation for each organization is 500MB; however, organizations can increase this default up to 10GB, at once or in increments. More information is available via the ITS Knowledge Base.
Information Technology Services
- ITS provides the Web-based management system for the Student Affairs offices at each Penn State location.
- ITS provides the Web-based management system for the student leaders appointed by Student Affairs to manage their Web site content editors.
- ITS manages the servers and technical infrastructure on behalf of Student Affairs.
- ITS provides, when needed, secondary technical support to Student Affairs technical contacts.
- ITS provides technical support documentation, including a FAQ and tutorials document.